Kerr Mackie Primary School PSA is an ever changing group of parents and school staff working together to make Kerr Mackie the best school it can be for your children. We raise money for the school as well as trying to support the values and ethos of the school.
We are hoping to hold further exciting events and activities over the course of 2018/19 and the PSA needs your help to make them happen!
The possibilities are endless! The PSA is always looking for fresh ideas so that it can continue to evolve. Any contribution, whether helping with the organising and running of events, making donations, or simply sharing ideas and opinions, will always be welcomed and appreciated. Please see below for tips on how to get involved.
Ongoing fundraising projects
Currently our main focus is raising money to improve the outdoor play area, particularly, the flooring around the play equipment and are working with the school to help provide some new play equipment.
We also hope to be able to make a contribution to the development of the new school library and give a financial contribution to events like the annual Year 6 leavers disco.
- Bag2School – funds are raised through clothing and textiles recycling. Collections are made twice a year and the school receives 50p per kg collected.
- EASY FUNDRAISING – Every time you shop online you can raise money for our school. Please visit www.easyfundraising.org.uk, click on “support a good cause” and search for Kerr Mackie Primary PSA. Then just follow the simple steps to sign up and start shopping using the links to over 2,000 retailers including Amazon, John Lewis, M&S, Argos, Next and many more. Every time you shop this way you will be earning a donation to the school at no additional cost to yourself. This is an easy way to raise extra funds for the school to support projects such as refurbishment of the Parents’ Room and the installation of a new cooking area for the children to use. Therefore, the PSA would like to encourage as many people as possible to sign up! There really is no downside so please check out the website and register today!! Don’t forget to log into the Easy Fundraising website every time you shop and watch the £’s accumulate!
- MATCH FUNDING – There are hundreds of organisations in the UK offering their employees the chance to boost their fundraising efforts by “matching” the money they raise for their chosen charity (in this case, Kerr Mackie Primary School Parent and Staff Association, Registered Chairy No. 1060424). Some organisations match fund on a pound-for-pound basis, others may stipulate what they are prepared to give. The PSA would like to explore this fantastic and easy way of raising additional funds for our school. As a first step, please check whether your employer operates a match giving scheme and, if they do, please do let us know – it will cost you nothing and provides an excellent opportunity to maximise the PSA’s fundraising efforts. There is no definitive list of match funders but some examples of companies that participate in this scheme can be found online at MoneySavingExpert.com and include Asda, Barclays, Debenhams, HSBC, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s, Stagecoach, Tesco… the list goes on.
How the money is being spent
Thanks to everyone’s generosity and support, the PSA has been able to raise a huge amount of money over the years to subsidise school projects. Here are just some of the ways in which the school has benefited from PSA fundraising in recent years:
- 2 trim trails in the grassed areas by the school gates
- Fencing around the Nursery and Reception outdoor areas
- Football barriers for the playground
- Upgrading of the wildlife area and pond
- Year group allotments
- iPads for the classrooms (enhancing the pupils’ learning in a variety of ways, including through film making and animation
- “Mathletics” computer programme for key stages 1 and 2
- Refurbishment of the Parents Room to include an improved kitchen area and children’s cooking facilities and cooking/baking equipment
How to get involved
The possibilities are endless! The PSA is always looking for fresh ideas so that it can continue to evolve. Any contribution, whether helping with the organising and running of events, making donations, or simply sharing ideas and opinions, will always be welcomed and appreciated.
Meetings are usually held once or twice per term and the dates and times are publicised on our Facebook group. Also look out for notices advertised on the notice board next to the school gates. We’d love to have more people at our meetings. Please do come along and share ideas. Everyone is welcome and the meetings are very informal. Whether you wish to participate or simply observe, we are always happy to see new faces.
For events we rely heavily on the donation of time from parents. Could you bake a cake, run a stall, sell raffle tickets, design a poster, help with lifting and carrying and moving furniture?! If so, we need you! The more volunteers the better. This will help ensure the variety, regularity and success of future events. Similarly, if you have any areas of particular expertise (e.g. gardening, computers, sport, art, craft, writing funding applications etc.), that you think may be useful, please do get in touch!
How to get in touch
If you want to keep up to date with events, then the best thing to do is join the Kerr Mackie Primary School PSA Facebook group. We post occasional updates through the school newsletter and sometimes through ParentMail. You can also contact us by email at email@example.com
Thank you for taking the time to read the PSA section of our school website; you are now already halfway to becoming involved! We hope you have found it useful and we look forward to your continued support for our children and our school.